Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Book Club Anyone?

I'd like to start a book club. Anyone interested?

My book club would be very eclectic. We'd read fiction and non-fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, suspense, thrillers, maybe even horror. We'd read educational stuff -- science and history. Just everything.

I'd maintain a website where we could all post our thoughts and opinions as we read the current book. We'd discuss as we read, what we're reading.

Some ideas I have are:

1. As members of the club think of books they'd like to read, they'd submit them, and then when it's time to pick the next book to read, all the members would vote to select it.

2. In my ideal book club, everyone would read the same book at the same time, and discuss it as they read it. I would set it up so that people who don't participate in the discussion get dropped from membership. I want active, reading members only. I want people who really love to read, and discuss with others what they're reading, regardless what type of book it is.

3. The discussion around each book we read could be available online in some useful way. Depending upon the book, it could be something like an extended review of a novel, or a chapter-by-chapter commentary on a religious or scientific work.

I have several other ideas.

It seems it could get started with just something as simple as a blog, where all the members are given access to edit the posts. My brother-in-law and I have done something like this with Tim And Jerry's Experimental Blog. That's what I have in mind, but with more members, and a little more structured, where we're all posting about the current book, or even the same chapters of the book. In my head, it would be cool if the posting of our thoughts became part of the daily experience of reading. You don't post a lot of text, just your thoughts as your reading.

I think it would be cool, but I'm not sure how many others out there think this sounds cool.

What do you think -- whoever you are that's here reading my blog? Please, let me know if you're intersted, or have other ideas. My email address should be visible in my profile, or you can just post comments here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home