Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Current Book and Movie Updates

Greetings to all who read this!

The time has finally come for a new blog entry!  My sincerest apologies to all my dear readers who have checked back here time after time looking for a new entry.  Here it is!  I hope it was worth the wait.

I went to visit my family over Thanksgiving and what fun it was!  The perfect holiday!  I told my mother about my blog, so if you read this, mom, please leave me a comment and let me know!!

The first thing I want to do is follow up on my reading list.  Since last time, I have finished Anne Rice’s Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt.  As you might recall, I said last time that I thought many in the Christian community would shun this book on the basis of who wrote it.  I take it back.  This book is not only one of the best Christian books I’ve read in a long time, it really and truly belongs on the shelves of Christian bookstores everywhere, and I have no doubt that it will arrive there soon.  

I liked Interview with the Vampire.  I liked the movie, and I liked the book better.  Yes, they were “guilty pleasures”, as you might say, but I liked them.  This new book is the opposite of that though.  I like this the way I liked The Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings.  I want to proclaim that I liked it from the hilltops.  It’s that good people.  I’m telling you, I cried not once but twice while reading it!  I prayed while reading this book!  I thanked and praised God for it!  That’s what we’re talking about here!  Don’t walk, run to the bookstore and pick this up.  

And now a prediction, for anyone who’s interested.  I predict that Ms. Rice will write at least three novels in this Christ the Lord series (“Out of Egypt” being the first), and I predict that a series of movies will be made of them which will be Harry Potter-level blockbusters.  I’m telling you, the film studio that does this will rake in the dough, and I can’t wait!

Oh my gosh… a thought just hit me…!  Will there be an Xbox tie-in game like with the Narnia movies?  I tremble at the thought.  Could we be entering a world where there will be a video game based on the life of Christ?  I’m not sure I’m ready for that.  On the other hand, if it’s done right (and I’m not even sure that it could be) it might actually work.

In other reading-material-related news, I’m currently reading Bee Season by Myla Goldberg.  Why am I reading this, you ask?  Well, I saw the trailer for the movie, and it looked interesting, so I said; “It this is gonna be a good movie, how good must the book be?!”  And I went and got the book.

Ok, I got the book on tape, but it’s unabridged, so it counts as reading it!

I’m not very far into it.  The best I can say is that I haven’t put it down yet.

I saw Harry Potter 3.  Was it good?  Yes it was.  Was it the best Harry Potter yet?  I don’t think so.  There was just too much material to cover in one film, and personally, I always thought the “Tri-Wizard Tournament” seemed … well, contrived.  The only thing of importance that occurs in the film is the resurrection of Voldemort, and once again the way Harry escapes from this is extremely deus ex machina.  To me, this has always been a weakness to the Harry Potter stories.  Since magic rules the universe, there are basically no rules, and therefore there can be no real tension.  Since anything can happen, there’s no real reason to care about what happens.

Lest you think I’m just slamming Harry Potter, I’m not.  I’ve read every book in the series, and I’ve seen every one of the films in the theater.  I even own all the DVDs (but I don’t think I’ll be buying this one).  I guess I’m starting to get a glimpse at the man behind the curtain, so to speak.  It’s been the same way with Lemony Snicket.  I absolutely loved the first few Baudelaire adventures, but they all start to seem the same after a while.  It’s just the same stuff over and over and over again.  I didn’t even finish the last one I started.

Well, the hour is late, and I’ve got to start getting some sleep.

Until next time (which hopefully won’t be as long as last time)!

-Tim



8 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Vienna said...

Anee Rice's new book is really that good, then? I guess I've got to read it now. And Bee Season looks really good too, I might seen read it first. (or get the book on tape. x3 I love books on tape. It's so free-feeling to be able to read and do something else at the same time.)

From what I understand it's from the perspective of a nine year old, and since I'm writing a story from the point of view of an eight year old, that would probably help me a lot.

Also, I love your blog title. Maybe because meandering is one of my favorite words.

-Carmen (or Vienna)

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received the following about Anne Rice today at work--haven't checked it yet.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/012/11.50.html

Have a nice day
John Paul

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Everyone has to have a favorite word. As words go, "meandering" is certainly not the worst choice. I like it.

What's your favorite?

Just to remind you, you're running to the store to buy me Christmas presents!!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Molly/Cece said...

Dude, it's 2006. Post!

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you find so much time to read and go to movies? I am busy all the time and barely have time to do my daily Bible reading, scan the paper, study my CBS lesson, prepare my S. S. lesson and maybe read before I fall asleep at night or on Sunday afernoon...sometimes I take a nap instead. Guess when you're younger you have more time. Time goes faster the older you get...
I'm glad to here you have the time!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Tim said...

To the anonymous poster:
Most of the books I talk about "reading" are actually listened to during my daily commute to work. I only listen to unabridged recordings though, so I think it's fair to say I "read" them. It's easier than always having to explain.

Also, I rarely scan the paper.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

write something or I will take you off my favorites list and move you to a file marked Ho Hum

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fan of listen to unabridged books on tape as well. I used to have an hour and a half commute one way each day and my books on tape helps me fight off road rage and keep my sanity. It also allowed me the time to "read" which I otherwise didn't often have... and still don't. Now that I don't commute very far, I miss my taped book time.

I just finished Christ Our Lord Out of Egypt and I have to agree. It was absolutley inspiring and wonderful. I am very thankful for Ms. Rice's words at the end in which she tells many of her research resources and her inspriation for writing. I agree that despite her past wrtitings (which I personall love) that she may be reaching a new audience with this book. I discovered this blog from going to Anne Rice's website.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home