Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Serenity - What to Read - Music

Greetings to all who read this!

Well, it’s midnight and I’m a-bloggin’.

Last weekend I saw the movie Serenity, so I’ll talk about that for a minute. I saw it twice, once with my wife Molly, and once with friends, and son Josiah. This is the first time in a long time that I have intentionally seen a movie at the theater twice, so that oughtta tell you something. I loved it both times! In fact, I may have enjoyed it more the second time, which is really something!

Molly and I, along with our older kids, have been big Firefly fans since before it was cancelled. We watched it when it was on Fox. We were so hooked, and could not believe it when it was cancelled. I just hope the success of this film inspires Mr. Whedon and his bosses to bring the series back. Maybe “Firefly: The Next Generation”? If that happened, and J. Michael Straczynski created a really great Star Trek series (as has been rumored), my sci-fi world would be complete.

Regarding reading material: I’m in-between things right now. I finished Omega (recommended) and haven’t replaced it with anything. I may start on The Engines of God, another by Jack McDevitt, but I’m kinda thinking I need a break from him. Maybe something other than sci-fi? Maybe non-fiction even! I thumbed though William Craig’s Enemy at the Gates at the bookstore the other day. It’s the novel that the movie was based on, and it was marked way down. I liked the movie, so I might like the book. But I didn’t buy it.

So I’ll put it out to you, dear readers. What should I read next? Something inspiring maybe? Enlightening? Thrilling?

I read Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time recently and loved it. I also liked Jack Miles God: A Biography (a Pulitzer Prize winner, but not for the orthodox. The section on Job changed my life), Neil Gaiman’s Coraline, and Yann Martel’s Life of Pi. Those are all great books that I’ve finished recently. What do you recommend? Leave me a comment! Write me an email!

Music-wise, I’ve lately discovered the Dave Matthews Band. They’re really U2-ish in the way their lyrics are usually packed with sometimes enigmatic meaning, which is something I like. I’m going to listen to their new CD for the first time tomorrow (picked it up at the library) so I can’t comment on that, but I can recommend Everyday as a good choice. I heard the song “What You Are” at church believe it or not (our church is so hip!), and was immediately hooked.

Well, it’s 1:00 am and I’m starting to drift away. Let me know what you think, whomever you may be! Don’t click out without leaving me a comment to read!

-Tim

1 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever think about what might happen if Firefly was written by a different author this time round? it could be awful...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home