Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Thoughts About Diabetes and Blogging

Greetings once again to all who read this.

It’s Wednesday morning, and I’ve just arrived at my office. I took Josiah to school earlier than usual this morning because he needed to stop by and purchase a doughnut for “a science project”. Of course, we didn’t just buy one doughnut.

So we walk into the grocery store and all these fresh, warm doughnuts are sitting out on racks, emitting an odor that can only be described as “intoxicating”. And since I’m type-2 diabetic, I’m thinking about that word’s etymological connection with the word “toxic”. Josiah grabs a couple (one for now and one for his science project) and I am faced with a dilemma which I now must face continually: do I indulge myself now and possibly suffer some kind of consequences later, or do I abstain and still possibly suffer the consequences for all my past indulgences? And does it really matter?

Now, before I was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, I would have grabbed two doughnuts without giving it a thought. I’d have grabbed the biggest apple fritter in the case, and probably a blueberry cake doughnut. Those were always my favorite. This morning, however, I pick the smallest plain cake doughnut I can see.

That seems to be my tactic now. I indulge, but only a little. Or perhaps I should say “less than I would have before diabetes”.

Now I wonder what my readers are thinking… Some are probably thinking “Oh my GOD! The guy’s diabetic and he ate a doughnut?!” Am I like a guy who smokes through the hole in his throat? Should I even say any of this stuff? To be honest, I don’t really know what I think about this myself. Perhaps some of my readers know what I should do. There’s an idea. If you have advice for me, please write! My email address is tblaisdell@avst.com.

Well, enough about that.

The other thing I thought about on my way to work this morning was this blog. I was thinking about ways I could make this more interesting – you know, attract more readers and so on. I could have movie and book reviews, for example. Or talk about philosophy. Maybe offer to answer reader’s questions. Maybe other things…

What I sort-of decided was that I would do all of those things.

When I see a movie, or read a book, I’ll review it. When I get a question from a reader, I’ll answer it. And of course, I’ll talk about faith and philosophy because, well, it’s what I do anyway.

So, dear readers, please feel free to write me with your questions and comments at the aforementioned email address. If there’s anything you want me to talk about, let me know. If you think I’m full of crap and should just shut up, let me know that too (but I’m not and I won’t, so there).

And I hope you all have a great day!

Tim

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Josh Bizeau said...

I'll be sure to rant and rave over your movie reviews. ;) And donuts are gooooooood. . . splurging on one sounds reeeeeally good right about now. . . Mmmmmmmmm. And since I live right next to a Loaf 'n Jug, I JUST might have to go satiate my hunger!

-Josh

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I am over weight, have high cholestorol (sp?) and high blood pressure I can't say too much about the donut. Mine is chocolate. At least mine is a veggie. (not to mention sugar and fat.) I get the mini bars or nuggets and limit myself to 2 or 3 a day. Of course chocolate is different.... women need more chocolate. Several years ago I made a new years resolution that I have kept every years since....that was, to Eat More Chocolate.
I try to keep my weight down, drink grape juice for the cholesteral (sp?) and take a pill for the blood pressure. Lord willing and the creek don't rise I'll keep the chocolate!
Next time you're faced with the donut problem, just get a hole.
Then stay on your diet the rest of the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home